The sounds of a rippling waterfall, a bubbling urn, a crackling fire pit or fireplace, leaves rustling in the breeze… The smell of roses, tea olives, spice bushes, or even the aroma of freshly tilled soil with plenty of mushroom compost…
The sight of soft grasses swaying in the wind, the colored flowers and leaves of other plants, dappled light beneath a pergola or shade tree…laughter and conversation going on among family and friends waiting for those steaks to come off the grill while enjoying a cold beverage! …
Ahhh… This just makes me long for springtime!
There are a number of things that can be done to make your backyard look like ones in magazines. However, there are some critical things that affect what CAN be done versus what WILL be or SHOULD be done.
Here they are:
- Your personal gripes about your land
- Your Goals for entertaining, relaxing or working outdoors
- Your current Lifestyle and how you wish to change it
- The size of your yard and what elements can be incorporated
- The problems that currently exist and any threats to other things on the property
- Presence of Sun or Shade
- Whether or not the property is level or hilly
- Homeowners Association (HOA) /Architectural Review Committee Covenants for your neighborhood
- Building codes, permitting and proximity to large bodies of water
- What part of the world you live in
- Ultimately, the size of your budget and getting back some of the investment if you ever sell.
Some of these may resonate with you, while others may not.
Either way, if you are just getting started, you should ask yourself how each of these applies to you and the existing conditions of your yard.
Need some landscape design help? Our experts can draw up plans that you will love.